Truck accidents are among the most devastating motor vehicle crashes. Due to their massive size and weight, a collision with a commercial truck or 18-wheeler often results in catastrophic injuries or fatalities. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a truck accident in Bakersfield, it is imperative that you contact an experienced Bakersfield truck accident attorney right away.
With in-depth knowledge of federal and state trucking regulations and proven negotiation skills, a qualified lawyer can help you recover maximum compensation for your injuries, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and all other losses. This article provides an overview of key legal issues related to truck crashes in Bakersfield and how an attorney can protect your rights following an accident.
Common Causes of Truck Crashes in Bakersfield
There are many factors that can contribute to the occurrence of truck accidents on Bakersfield roads and highways. Some of the most common causes include:
- Truck driver fatigue – Truckers are often under intense pressure to meet tight delivery windows, leading to driver fatigue. Driving while drowsy dramatically increases accident risk.
- Speeding or aggressive driving – The size and weight of trucks means they require more time and distance to stop. Excessive speeding by truck driversfrequently causes catastrophic rear-end collisions and rollover incidents.
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers face numerous potential distractions including cell phones, onboard computers, paperwork, adjusting the radio, eating, and more. Just a few seconds of distraction can result in a horrible crash with a passenger vehicle.
- Driving under the influence – Impaired driving is always dangerous, and intoxicated truck driving can easily destroy multiple lives in an instant. Even prescription or over-the-counter drugs can impair a trucker’s ability to drive safely.
- Poor truck maintenance – When trucking companies fail to properly maintain their vehicles, defects like faulty brakes, blown tires, broken lights, and other problems can lead directly to wrecks.
- Improper loading – Improperly loaded, unbalanced, or overloaded trailers raise the risk of truck crashes and make them more severe. Unsecured cargo can also be thrown from trucks, endangering other motorists.
No matter what caused your truck accident, an experienced Bakersfield truck accident lawyer can help you investigate fault and build a strong injury claim.
Common Truck Accident Injuries in Bakersfield
When a multi-ton truck collides with a regular passenger vehicle, the people in the car or truck almost always suffer catastrophic injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – The tremendous forces involved in a truck collision can cause life-altering head and brain injuries including concussions, contusions, hemorrhages, and memory loss.
- Spinal cord damage – Truck crashes often inflict permanent debilitating damage to the spinal cord leading to partial or total paralysis of the limbs.
- Amputations – When a body part gets crushed under a truck during an accident, amputation of fingers, hands, arms, legs, or feet may be necessary.
- Internal organ damage – Being battered around inside the car during a truck wreck can rupture, collapse, or lacerate vital organs. Lung collapses, liver trauma, kidney failure, and bowel perforations are some examples.
- Severe fractures – The extreme impact forces lead to complex fractures, typically of the long bones in the arms and legs as well as the ribs, hips, spine, and skull.
- Burn injuries – Friction burns are common when a body part is trapped or dragged. Fires or explosions sometimes occur after truck crashes, burning victims.
No injury is too severe for the Bakersfield truck accident attorneys at Sloan Law Firm. We will fight to help you recover full and fair compensation.
Why Hire a Bakersfield Truck Accident Lawyer?
Trying to handle a truck accident claim on your own against the trucking company and their insurance carrier would be a mistake. An experienced Bakersfield truck accident lawyer will protect your rights and vigorously pursue maximum compensation for your injuries and losses. Specifically, a lawyer can provide the following value:
- Conduct a thorough investigation – Your lawyer will institute immediate investigations, gathering police reports, physical evidence, photos, video footage, and eyewitness statements before memories fade and evidence disappears.
- Deal with insurance companies – The trucking company and your own insurer will have entire teams assigned to minimize payouts. Your lawyer will handle negotiations, freeing you to focus on recovery. We know how to maximize settlements.
- Determine liability – Truck accident cases involve complex legal issues surrounding liability and fault. Your lawyer will pin down which parties contributed to the crash through truck driver negligence, employer negligence, truck defects, cargo errors, etc.
- Calculate full damages – The value of a serious truck injury claim easily reaches millions of dollars when accounting for all medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. Experienced lawyers have the skills to tally all current and future losses.
- File lawsuits if needed – If insurance companies refuse reasonable settlements, your lawyer can file a truck accident lawsuit in court on your behalf. We are not afraid to take cases to trial if that’s what it takes.
The Bakersfield truck accident attorneys at Sloan Law Firm are intimately familiar with federal and state trucking laws. Let us put our extensive legal experience to work on your behalf during this difficult time.
What should I do immediately after a truck crash in Bakersfield?
Get to a safe location, call 911 for help, administer first aid if possible, and document the accident scene with photos. Exchange information with the truck driver and cooperatively provide details to the police. Seek medical evaluation, even if you don’t think you’re injured. Finally, contact an experienced Bakersfield truck accident attorney.
Who may owe me compensation after my Bakersfield truck accident?
The truck driver, trucking company, cargo company, parts manufacturers, truck maintenance company, and others can share liability for your damages. An experienced lawyer can identify all potentially liable defendants. Your own insurer may also owe benefits under your policy.
How is fault determined in truck accident claims?
Many factors help determine liability, such as truck driver negligence, truck defects, improper maintenance, defective parts, employer negligence, and cargo errors. Skilled lawyers will prove fault through crash reconstruction, digital forensics, deposition questioning, and expert testimony.
What damages may be recovered in my Bakersfield truck accident claim?
You may recover both economic and non-economic damages. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, job impacts, property damage, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, emotional distress, and reduced quality of life. There are no limits under California law.
How much is my Bakersfield truck accident case worth?
Every truck crash is unique, so values vary widely. Factors include crash severity, specific injuries, length of treatment, permanent impairments, lost income, and insurance coverage amounts. However, many severe truck injury claims exceed $1 million. An experienced attorney can evaluate your claim’s full value.
Don’t let insurance companies take advantage of you after a truck crash. The Bakersfield truck accident attorneys at Sloan Law Firm are committed to helping injury victims recover the maximum compensation they are entitled to under the law. Call our office for a free consultation today.