Being involved in a serious semi truck accident in Texas can leave crash victims facing devastating injuries, property damage, lost income, and more. Working with an experienced semi truck accident lawyer is key to getting the best settlement possible. Here is a comprehensive guide to understanding your options and legal rights if you or a loved one has been harmed in a Texas semi truck crash.
Common Causes of Semi Truck Accidents in Texas
Sharing the road with large commercial trucks poses serious risks for passenger vehicle occupants. Some of the top causes of truck crashes in Texas include:
- Truck driver fatigue or falling asleep at the wheel
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Distracted driving by the truck driver
- Improper loading leading to shifting cargo
- Poor truck maintenance and mechanical defects
- Intoxicated driving – drunk or impaired truckers
- Aggressive driving or tailgating by the truck driver
- Truck driver error – improper lane changes, turns, etc.
These factors can all contribute to a truck losing control, jackknifing, or colliding with smaller passenger vehicles with devastating force.
Typical Injuries Sustained in a Semi Truck Accident
When a fully loaded 80,000 pound semi truck crashes into a regular passenger car or truck, the occupants of the smaller vehicle suffer extreme blunt force trauma. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Head and brain injuries – concussions, TBIs
- Spinal cord damage – paralysis
- Broken bones – fractures, crush injuries
- Internal organ damage – lacerations, bleeding
- Soft tissue damage – whiplash, sprains
- Disfigurement – scars, burns
- Psychological trauma – PTSD
Any of these truck accident injuries can leave victims with permanent disabilities, chronic pain, steep medical bills, and a reduced quality of life.
Seeking Compensation for Your Losses and Damages
If a semi truck driver’s negligence or recklessness caused your accident injuries, you have legal rights to pursue compensation for your losses. With an attorney’s help, you can seek damages to cover:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages from missed work
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Cost of rehabilitation, physical therapy
- Permanent disabilities or disfigurement
- Property damage – repairs or replacement
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one is killed
An experienced truck accident attorney will fight to help you receive a full and fair settlement.
Why You Need a Lawyer After a Truck Crash
Handling a serious injury claim after a semi truck collision is complex. Having a qualified attorney on your side is critical for several reasons:
- Determine all liable parties – the truck driver, trucking company, parts manufacturers, etc.
- Investigate the crash and uncover critical evidence – black box data, maintenance records, truck driver history, etc.
- Deal with insurance companies and negotiate a maximized settlement
- Manage liens from health insurers and other parties
- Calculate the short and long-term costs of your damages
- Protect your legal rights if the case goes to trial
A knowledgeable truck accident lawyer levels the playing field against big trucking companies and their insurers.
Beware of Truck Company Settlement Tactics
Powerful trucking companies and insurance adjusters use common tactics to try to minimize or deny your injury claim. Experienced lawyers know to watch for:
- Quick, lowball settlement offers before the true extent of damages is known
- Claiming you share partial fault or were negligent
- Disputing the extent of your injuries
- Delaying settlement talks to pressure you into accepting less
- Denying liability and responsibility altogether
With legal guidance, you can stand up to these insurance company tactics and still pursue maximum compensation.
5 Key Questions to Ask a Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
- What is your success record recovering damages for clients in truck injury cases? Look for a high case win percentage.
- What is the claims settlement process and how long does it typically take? Understand what to expect.
- How will you determine all parties that may be liable for my injuries? Maximize sources of settlement funds.
- What out-of-pocket legal costs can I expect? Get fee and expense details.
- Can I get help arranging medical treatment for my injuries? Some firms work with doctors.
Costs of Pursuing a Truck Injury Claim
It is important to ask upfront about legal fees and costs. Options truck accident attorneys offer include:
- Contingency fees – attorney gets paid a percentage only if you win damages
- Free consultation – initial case review at no cost
- Referral networks – for finding the right specialist lawyer if needed
Reputable truck accident firms work to minimize your out-of-pocket costs. Multi-million dollar settlements are often possible.
Why Hiring the Right Lawyer Matters
With the complex legal, medical, and insurance issues involved, having the right lawyer by your side after a truck crash makes a major difference. Consider these factors:
- Focus on truck accident cases – not general personal injury
- Years of experience fighting trucking companies
- Resources to investigate thoroughly
- Willingness to go to trial if needed
- Patience for the claims process – cases can take over a year usually
Take time to choose a trusted lawyer with specialized trucking collision experience.
Key Takeaways on Texas Semi Truck Injury Lawyers
- Truck accident injuries like TBI or spinal damage can be life-changing
- An attorney helps you pursue maximum compensation for medical bills, lost income, disabilities, and more
- Find out fee arrangements upfront – many lawyers take truck cases on a contingency basis
- Be wary of quick settlement offers from insurers that seem low
- Having an aggressive lawyer levels the playing field against big trucking companies
I hope this guide has helped explainTexas semi truck accident law and the benefits of consulting with a qualified lawyer if you or a loved one has been injured in a crash. Let me know if you have any other questions!